(Below the typed out recipe you'll find a printable PDF)
1 or 2 frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts*
2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup black beans (cooked)**
2 teaspoons chili powder
4 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese for serving, and sour cream (optional)
• Place tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasoning in 5-quart slow cooker. Stir.
• Add frozen chicken, stirring just to cover it with the sauce.
• Cover with lid. Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours. (If you’re in a hurry, it is done whenever the chicken shreds apart easily...as soon as 2 hours on High)
• Shred chicken in the slow cooker with forks or remove to a cutting board, shred, and place back in slow cooker.
• Serve with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream if desired.
Yields about 6 cups.
* Use more or less chicken depending on your taste. Make vegetarian by omitting chicken and doubling the black beans.
** I use frozen cooked black beans but a 15 oz. can of black beans (with or without draining) also works.
If you cannot find cans of dice tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion, use regular diced tomatoes and add fresh onions and garlic or onion and garlic seasoning.